Friday 9 October 2015

Getting Engaged

Hi Guys and Girls,
So decided to give blogging ago, after many years writing for various publications about life style, fashion, hair & beauty I thought I needed a little outlet to write about more open topics.

I wanted my first blog to be about a recent event in my life, I got engaged to my partner Marc after a number of years being together we finally decided to get engaged. WOW no one told me organising an engagement party would be so difficult! Who knew that its like a small wedding! It was only about a week before that it dawned on me that I have only myself to blame for going all out. Marquees, DJ, Bar, loads of food, up lighters and countless decorations. But this has since lead me to think....…A dangerous thing in its self. Why when it comes to weddings and engagement parties do we turn in to obsessive compulsive beings that need to go all out? It took four weeks of planning for a 5 hour party!

For me being a gay man the idea of being able to officiate my relationship with the person I love is a big deal. With recent law changes allowing us to do so it is a big deal in its self. But when it came down to the party just for the engagement I was like a man on mission. Don't get me wrong I loved every minute of it! But come on matching table decorations co-ordinating bar stool covers with high gloss black bars and matching DJ booth even I had enough of my self.

We do party to mark a land mark in our life it could be birthdays, anniversaries, deaths, births or now divorces and we invite our close friends and family. Yet we still feel the need to make it lavish and jaw dropping. I was a groomzilla no question about it and even I am worried what I will be like when it comes to planning the wedding. For me I felt a massive sense of responsibility that people where traveling from afar (Canada, Wales, Brighton) and had arranged hotels near by to join us on our
special so I felt I had to throw a party that was worth the effort they had made. It honestly sent me in to over drive obsessing over a Buffett and I was adamant that I didn't want a sausage roll and cheese and pineapple sticks. But instead I wanted crab cakes, Palma ham and asparagus with fresh made vegetarian dishes ( never ask Greek about vegetarian food). Because we threw the party at our home I  was in a cleaning frenzy for at least two weeks and cleaning things that no one would take any notice of but me.

I could write so much more on becoming a groomzilla but I think the point I'm making is I obsessed so much and got my self so worked up about making things as perfect as I could that I almost forgot to enjoy the process of what was happening making the most of whole experience of organising and executing it all. But I wouldn't have changed our day for anything, being surrounded by family and friends from near and far, so when planning such a massive hopefully one off life time event stop and enjoy it don't get lost in the smallest details of cleaning skirting boards and cleaning your book shelfs just enjoy the time of everything around you.


Much love D

3 comments:

  1. Incredible read. You're a lucky man to have a partner like Marc who didn't murder you in your Groomzilla stage.

    You are however perfect for eachother and I'm proud to live in a country where that love and relationship can be viewed in the same light as any other. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you JSF greatly appreciated feedback and lovely words X

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Don't sweat the small stuff" we are always being told that, i think there is so much negativity in the world and so much celeb bashing by media and trolls on the internet that we feel the need for perfection so no one judges us too. You are so right we still get caught up in it all and lose sight of what the occasion is really about. Your friends and family (me inc) feel honoured to be invited to share in such a precious moment in yours and Marcs relationship. It was an amazing party, but even a smaller event would have been just as good when it comes to sharing it with you and seeing you two dance and in love xx

    ReplyDelete